We all know we should be safer drivers
But sometimes we can put off acquiring new good habits because it seems like a lot of work. We know it's a good idea but who has the time to learn something new? So here are some simple strategies to be a safer driver right now. You can implement these instantly for instant results and you don't have to learn anything new.
- Slow down to the speed limit. Many drivers drive between ten and twenty kilometres over the speed limit. But speed limits were chosen for a reason and the distance to stop a vehicle grows exponentially longer the faster you go. So slow down to the speed limit. This one should be easy!
- Turn off those distractions. Eliminate the desire to check your cell phone by turning it off while you drive. Although being connected is important, the half hour you spend in the vehicle should be entirely focused on driving
- Keep both hands on the wheel. Your vehicle is a hurtling cage of steel and glass. Doesn't it make sense to keep both hands on the steering wheel – which is the only thing separating you from total chaos?
- Stay back from the vehicle in front of you. Keep at least three seconds of distance between you and the vehicle you are following. This gives you time to react when they brake suddenly
- Look farther down the road. Most people look just over their hood or their attention becomes fixated on the vehicle in front of them. If you look further down the road, you'll know what is up ahead and have plenty of time to react
- Anticipate what other drivers are going to do. Based on the road and what other vehicles are doing, and using clues like stop lights, road signs, and indicator lights, guess what other drivers are going to do before they do it
- Know what vehicles are around you by checking your mirrors (and your blindspots) frequently. You should be able to always know what vehicles are there even when you're not looking in your mirrors
- Adjust your driving for the environment. When there's rain or snow, or if it's dark, slow down
Just like flossing and eating more vegetables, safe driving is something we know we should do. But it's easy to forget or to put off learning something new until later. But later never comes. Use these eight tips to help you drive safer today.
If you get into a collision, bring your vehicle to the collision repair team at Boyd Autobody & Glass. We'll fix up your vehicle and get you and your family back on the road in a vehicle that is nicely restored and returned to its safe operating condition again!