The Importance Of Your Vehicle's Windshield
When you get into your vehicle and sit behind the wheel, the last thing you think about is your vehicle's glass. It's there but you don't really pay attention because you see through it to view the other (more important) things going on when you drive.
Your Vehicle's Glass Is A Key Component In Your Safety
Even if it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Here's why:
- You vehicle's glass is very strong and takes a beating, protecting you from wind, dirt, dust, rocks, bugs, snow, ice and rain
- Your vehicle's glass is part of the structural integrity of your vehicle. Most people don't realize this but your vehicle's windows are designed to help maintain the shape of your vehicle and to keep the roof from collapsing in on the occupants in the event of a collision
- Your vehicle's glass is specially designed to be crumble instead of shatter in the event of a collision. Although this glass can still potentially cut you, it is designed so that it turns into tiny pebbles instead of dangerous, knife-like shards
Your vehicle's glass cares for you. Here's how to care for your vehicle's glass…
- Keep your windows clean. Whenever you pull in to a gas station to fuel up, wash the outside of your windows. Dirty windows keep you from seeing properly and can create blindspots which can lead to collision. Be sure to wash the inside of your windows periodically, too, because even dirty windows on the inside can keep you from seeing out easily, especially when it's sunny
- When you see a crack or chip in your glass, get it repaired right away. Although these are small and seemingly harmless, your windows take such abuse all year 'round that those chips and cracks can spread. And the result is: Your windshield's strength is compromised and it doesn't provide the same level of strength that it once did
- In the winter, make sure you completely clear the snow and ice off of each window. Many people only chip a small amount of snow or ice off of their windows but they leave most of their windows covered, turning their vehicles into giant blindspots
Your vehicle's glass is an important component in your safety. Take the time to care for the glass so you can stay safer on the road.
If you do get a chip, crack, or broken window, bring your vehicle into the glass repair experts at Boyd Autobody & Glass. We'll repair or replace your window quickly to restore the safety of your vehicle once again.